Orphan Block Swap Challenge
The Austin MQG Service Committee has been collecting your orphan blocks and now we are ready to redistribute & have them turned into awesome quilts! Sign-ups will be open May4-24. Blocks will be handed out at the AMQG meeting o n June 1. Completed Quilts will be displayed at the Oct 5 AMQG meeting, with viewer’s choice voting to decide the first, second and third place winners. All quilts will be donated to Settlement Home for Children & St. Louise House
- Finished quilt much be at least 40” x 50”
- To be eligible for voting, quilts must be quilted, bound, & labeled with an AMQG label.
- Orphan blocks may be manipulated to fit your needs, but you should attempt to honor their original integrity. Example: A 9-patch could be chopped and re-sewn into a disappearing 9-patch or have some improv added to it, but it SHOULD NOT be completely disassembled & scrapped for fabric.
- Each person will receive a number when they pick up their kit. This number is assigned to the person the bag was given to. Please pin the number to the front of the quilt when you turn it in, so that the number is visible for voting.
- The deadline for submissions is at the October 5th meeting, but quilts may be turned in earlier.
Guidelines/ Special notes:
- Please refrain from sharing pictures of your fabric/ project on social media until after the contest, so that voting can remain anonymous. AFTER the challenge feel free to share a photo of your original block + your finished project with the #AMQGCharityChallenge17 so that everyone can see your work!
- The service committee will have bins with bits of fabric to choose from at each meeting, leading up to the challenge show. The service committee has batting & fabric for backing upon request, but appreciates anyone who pulls from stash for that. To request backing & batting, just e-mail Catherine.cureton@gmail .com with your quilt dimensions & a photo of your quilt.
- Remember that this is done for charity & all in good fun!
- If you don’t finish before the show, we encourage you to finish in your own time & give it to the charity committee whenever you finish.
- If you have leftover charity fabric, we encourage you to keep it for making more AMQG service quilts.
- Thanks for all your hard work!
If you have any questions, please contact Catherine Cureton: email@example.com
Sign up for the Orphan Block Charity Challenge